Saturday, July 11, 2015

ADHD a hoax or over diagnosed?

I have seen a couple of different places discuss how the rate of Children in France that would qualify for the ADHD diagnosis is drastically lower than the US the first was a podcast by Tom Woods the second was this article.
Even though I don't have a degree in the matter I am inclined to agree with the statement ADHD is over diagnosed. First I have my self as a bit of evidence- when I was a kid I had that diagnosis and through out my life I was on different types of medications with horrible results, such as- being aggressive, suicidal and just stoned.  Some people will say I just needed the right medication- but there comes a point when you have to question the diagnosis. Later in life I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome- which is a condition on the Autistic Spectrum.
I was the one who informed my blogging partner about the condition- and I tried my hand at a couple more medications- one left me sedated sleeping most of the day and unable to think straight and the other seemed to have no effect in dealing with my depression. As you can not treat Asperger's with medication and my depression was caused by losing my job and latter getting dumped I felt the medication had very little effect and my psychiatrists took me off of it.
My mother is a special ed teacher who is currently working with autistic children and she claims that there is a tendency to have a label of the day when they are unsure what to do with a child and the people who make the claim that ADHD is over diagnosed tend to believe the issue is really behavioral and social and both places state the French have less tendencies due to how they deal with students and run the schools.
As I have only gone to school in the US and I am not an educational major I can't comment on the theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment